Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Moto Trip Day 15 Salida and the Arkansas River

Leaving Crested Butte

Rained all night and raining now as I eat my breakfast. I'm sure glad that I rented a room in CB (as the locals refer to Crested Butte). All the Pro Challenge folks have cleared out - racers, TV producers, race officials, etc and the hubbub has moved to Salida for today. Hope I can still get a campsite!


The sun came out and I encounter a State Highway Patrol roadblock on Hwy 50 to Salida. Sign says the road is closed until 6pm for the USA Pro Challenge race, but amazingly they let me through. I'm guessing they thought I was a race Marshall - they ride a BMW 1200 GS, just like mine, they wear a full black riding suit, just like mine, and they wear a bright yellow vest, nearly like mine (except theirs days "Marshall", while mine says "Triumph"). Everyone was waving to me as I rode by!  Good news: I was THE only vehicle on the highway for nearly 50 miles, except for race organizing trucks.  Bad news: spectator bikes thought they could ride in the center of the lane, cross the road without looking, etc all the way up the twisty road with blind corners over Monarch Pass. 

Salida for lunch. Traffic is a mess, waiting for the race to pass through the downtown. 

Oh No, The Bike Race Runs Through Salida Too!

Just got out, heading for the Hecla Junction campground on the Arkansas River. No need to be worried about finding a campsite - Hecla Junction was nearly empty. I did forget about the road in to the campground. Hairpin turns, loose gravel - but I made it OK. My campsite - #8, same as my spring fishing trip, and on the River....

Campsite #8, Hecla Junction State Park, North of Salida

The Arkansas River below my campsite. 

The Arkansas River at Brown's Canyon

No comments:

Post a Comment