Monday, August 11, 2014

Moto Trip Day 6 Capitol Reef

Riding from Bryce to Capitol Reef the scenery was stark and the day was hot (92 degrees). I was ok as long as I kept moving and had airflow, but stopping for any reason caused extreme discomfort, encased as I am in my rainproof riding suit.  See my road way below?

My Road Far Below

A pretty side trip involved taking the Burr Trail (an old partially paved, driving-cattle-to-market route) south from Boulder 17 miles up and back along a cool sandstone river canyon (the shade was really welcome.  No phone or internet since Bryce Canyon, and won't likely be until Near Durango. 

The Burr Trail Marker

The Burr Trail

Arriving in Fruita Campground, (Capitol Reef NP), I set up camp, met my German neighbors Martin, Maria, Anna, & Tobias, then set off on foot for the historic Gifford house where the park sells delicious homemade fruit pies and fresh fruit (currently peaches) from the many historic orchard trees managed by the park. Yum!!  I got strawberry-rhubarb. Double yum!

Fruita Strawberry-Ruhbarb Pie

An unexpected surprise: a woodwind quintet from the Utah Symphony Orchestra would perform for an hour at the campground amphitheater! My German neighbors and I headed for the performance and were not disappointed.   

Woodwind Quintet from the Utah Symphony Orchestra Serenades Us

No comments:

Post a Comment