Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Moto Trip Day 7 Capitol Reef

Breakfast with my German neighbors, then hide in the tent for an hour while the rain beats down  

Historic cabin


The Noton Road

The Noton Road
Finally, the sun came out and I headed for the backcountry Noton Road - paved for a few
miles, then turning to dirt. Panoramic, stark views. Hike to see a nice set of Anasazi, petroglyphs, then took the 10 mile scenic drive to Capitol Gorge where the Mormons blasted a road through the reef for easier travel. This was the only road through the reef until 1962.

Capitol Reef Scenic Drive

Capitol Reef Scenic Drive


Capitol Reef Scenic Drive

Time for dinner. Halfway through my prep when the heavens REALLY open up and I scramble for my tent to avoid a good soaking. 

30 minutes later the skies clear and I resume dinner, although the occasional cracks of thunder still roll through the canyon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment